Thursday, May 2, 2013

Letterboxing Lake Somerville

Last month I took a short trip up to Lake Somerville to get the remaining boxes which I missed on my previous trips.  By chance I camped at Nail's Creek State Park on the southern side of the lake.  By arriving on Thrusday night, I had my pick of campsites and I got a great view of the lake.


On Friday morning, I looked for PI Joe's Calvaryman box which is a decent hike even from the closest access point.  On my way back I heard a loud hawk nearby, and realized I parked right under the nest!


I continued on to Birch Creek State Park and picked up a few boxes.  In the afternoon I met up with NativTxn who lives nearby and spends a lot of time at the park.  She helped me find two boxes I missed, and we planted one of her newly carved stamps.  By the time we finished I had walked about 10 miles for the day and we headed back to our campsite.   We enjoyed the evening and exchanged some stamps at our picnic table.  

Saturday morning, NativTxn had to leave so I spent the morning finishing up a stamp to plant at Nails Creek.  I've censored the image so you don't get a spoiler, but you might notice all the colored pencils below...you will want to color this one in!


One of the highlights of the trip was waking up to a glorious sunrise over the lake.  So I'll leave you with some sunrise photos.  The one picture I should have taken was on the way home...there were hundreds of people on the roadside taking pictures of bluebonnets outside of Brenham!  They caused quite a traffic slowdown.  But back to your sunrise pics...





1 comment:

  1. This was a fun weekend. Funny...we both posted pix of the ducks in the morning. http://nativtxn.blogspot.com/2013/04/fun-filled-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete